That our dog does not want to eat is cause for concern for the caretakers since, in a habitual way, our dogs do not usually have problem in devouring everything that we put in the plate and even continue asking for food.
The lack of appetite It may be indicating the presence of some pathology, in fact, that the dog stops eating is a typical symptom in multiple diseases of greater or lesser severity. In addition, the recovering dog may also be reluctant to eat.
In this Animal Expert article we will answer your question about why my dog doesn't want to eat, explaining the most common causes that cause it and the procedure to follow.
My dog doesn't want to eat anything
As we have said, that our dog does not want to eat can be indicative that he is suffering from some disease. The list of disorders that can manifest with the absence of appetite is endless and it includes from mild problems, such as digestive disorders, to serious diseases such as canine parvovirus. With a dog that does not want to eat we can find ourselves in situations such as the following:
- The dog does not eat but otherwise is lively. Our dog will not want to eat and will only drink water, although in other cases he may also reject it. In general it is due to specific inconvenience usually remit in a few hours Without having to do anything.
- Other times the dog does not eat and vomits, which may be due to a mild digestive disorder that, as in the previous case, will resolve spontaneously in a few hours. Sometimes the dog does not eat and vomits yellow when it is no longer contained>
My dog does not want to eat and is down
If our dog does not want to eat and we also observe symptoms such as weakness or decay that does not remit as the hours pass, we must go to our vet, especially if we take care of a puppy, an animal that has already been diagnosed with a disease or an elderly dog, since all these cases involve a greater vulnerability, which makes these dogs more prone to get sick and for pathologies to appear more severely.
Since loss of appetite and decay are common to multiple diseases we must pay attention to the dog's behavior with the aim of identify other symptoms that help diagnosis such as pain, fever, vomiting or diarrhea. The veterinarian will examine the dog and, if necessary, propose tests such as blood and urine test, radio or ultrasound.
My dog does not want to eat or drink water
If it is already worrying that our dog does not want to eat, if it also rejects the intake of water the problem may be greater, as long as this situation continues. If it is also accompanied by a considerable loss of liquids such as that which can produce vomiting and diarrhea, the dog runs the risk of becoming dehydrated, which will be especially worrying in the most vulnerable such as puppies, sick or geriatric, as we have said.
These cases may indicate that the dog has a disease in the digestive system but, also, pathologies such as those affecting kidneys or heart They can cause the dog to lack appetite, decay or vomiting. We should know that a dehydrated dog usually has a lower appetite, hence the importance of restoring fluids both subcutaneously and intravenously, in which case it will be necessary enter the dog in the clinic.
My dog is sick and does not want to eat anything
After an illness and a treatment it is usual that we find that our dog does not want to eat or that our dog does not want to eat alone. After spending a few days in fast some dogs have trouble eating again as they did before the illness and we must insist To do it.
We can take into account the following recommendations to reintroduce food:
- Use some special food for convalescence, very palatable and pasty or liquid texture, which facilitates its intake. We can consult the veterinary clinic if they have wet gastrointestinal food.
- Offer meals that we know are to your liking.
- Yes we heat the food We will stimulate your smell and appetite. Of course, we must control that they do not burn.
- If you eat I think you can accept it better if we soak it in warm water and offer it by making a paste.
- It helps some dogs to feed them with hand.
- In a few days you should be eating only your usual diet or that prescribed by the veterinarian, even if we have to offer the ration in small quantities more times a day.
- The feeding is fundamental for the recovery so that if the dog does not eat we must inform the veterinarian.
- In the case of dogs with chronic diseases it is recommended to provide a specific feeding for the pathology in question although, if the dog rejects it, we can give it the food it asks for, since it is more important that it eat anything before it stops.
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to My dog does not want to eat - Causes and what to do, we recommend you go to our Other health problems section.