The cat Maine Coon It is one of the largest races that exists, but everything that is large, is also affectionate. Because of this, more and more people decide to host one of these magnificent animals at home. It also adapts perfectly to families, even those with dogs.
When are they Puppies are curious, awake and playful, and take three or four years to reach maturity. To meet your needs, both physical and mental, it is important to know some advice about your care:
Maine coons need to have a healthy diet.
- Is a race prone to obesity if no limit is imposed on your food intake. So it is important that the feed is of quality, avoiding excessively fatty. In addition, it is important to get used to strict schedules, not giving food after hours.
- It has to comb often its fur to prevent it from getting tangled. At least they have to brush their hair once a week.
- Take it to vet. If there are no complications, a couple of times a year will be enough.
- Unlike other cats, Maine Coon loves water, therefore we will not have any problem when bathing it, as long as the water is at an ideal temperature. However, it is not convenient to bathe it with shampoo on more than one occasion every month and a half.
- It is important cut your nails often to avoid bending and damaging his legs.
- Take time to play with him, so you can have fun and, in passing, stay healthy.
- Eye care: With a gauze moistened in an infusion of chamomile a couple of times a week.
- Ear care: With a specific eye drops once a week.
- Mouth care: With a toothbrush and a special cat toothpaste, at least three times a week.
The Maine Coon participate in many beauty pageants.
Origins of the Maine Coon
One of the theories about the origins of the Maine Coon cat He says that when the Vikings made their raids in America, they brought cats to catch the rats in their ships. According to that theory, Maine Coons would descend from long-haired Nordic cats and American mountains. Another theory is that European Angora cats crossed with shorthair cats and there came the Maine Coon.
But, its origin does not matter because they are beautiful, affectionate and very good pets.
Maine Coon cat fur
Fortunately, the fur of this breed is healthy and beautiful, however, if you want to preserve its quality, you will have to brush it at least three times a week with a brush for long-haired cats. If you do it daily for 5 minutes, much better. On the other hand, hit your Maine Coon cat Foods rich in Omega 3 to benefit your coat.
This feline breed is fascinated by water, so you will have no problem bathing it, as long as the temperature is appropriate, between 36 to 38 ° C. In the United States it is not surprising to see the Maine Coon cats bathing in the pool with his human family, since they are very good swimmers.
However, although these cats love to bathe, it is not advised to do so with cat shampoo more than once a month.
The Maine Coon Bath
An unusual quality of this feline breed is that he loves water, therefore we will not have any problem when bathing it, as long as the water is at an ideal temperature (36º-38º Celsius).
In the United States it is not uncommon to see the Maine coon bathe with the family in the pool during the summer. The Maine Coon he is a good swimmer.
However, although this cat likes to get wet, it is not convenient to bathe it with shampoo on more than one occasion every month and a half. Another thing is that the cat enjoys cooling off during the summer and gets wet at the slightest occasion.
Maine coon feeding
This section is quite tricky, since Maine Coon cats they eat like limes, but they are quite lazy. Therefore it is a race subject to obesity if no limit is imposed on their food intake. The I think balanced must be of quality, avoiding excessively fatty.
Maine coons grow slowly, it takes four years to reach their maximum weight that in males can reach 11 kg. If you exceed this weight, the veterinarian should treat it without delay, since your health will be in serious danger.
Coexistence with the Maine Coon
This breed has the peculiarity that is independent and very familiar at the same time. He likes to fiddle, to be the center of attention, and that there is "noise" around him, but he is not attracted too much to be touched in excess.
Maine coons get along very well with other pets.
This large breed can live in an apartment, since it is not too active, but quite the opposite. However, the ideal is that you could have a small garden to enjoy some hunting adventure from time to time, capturing a mouse.
If you want to read more articles similar to Maine coon care, we recommend that you enter our Basic Care section.
Throughout the life of the animal it will be necessary to take it to the veterinarian either to put the vaccines, the microchip, castrate it or because it is sick. As your caregiver, you will have to make sure that you also receive veterinary care.
Do not forget to give much love from the first day. It's what you will need most 😉.
How are the Maine Coon?
This breed loves to play and be the center of attention. He enjoys interacting with people, but he doesn't like being touched too much. Generally, they get along well with other pets. The Maine Coons can live both in a house and in an apartment, since it is not very active.
Remember to take it regularly to the veterinarian to verify your health status and administer the necessary vaccines.