Muzzles are usually understood as a sign that a dog is dangerous, but here you can see the values that your pet can get with this utensil.
When we have a pet they are many responsibilities that we must accept. In addition to the love and love that our pet processes, we also we must keep in mind that we must cover all your basic needs, as well as adequate food, going down for a walk at least half an hour three times a day in the case of dogs, and giving them the necessary attention, playing with them and taking care of their health so that our pet feel happy and healthy by our side.
In the case that you have a dog as a pet there are several factors that you should take into account. For example, It is recommended that you take it with you on vacation whenever you leave and do not leave it alone at home for too many hours. These pets like to be by your side, so it will be convenient for you to spend time with them as long as they feel happy. Also, in this way you can make sure that they have the education they require and that they cannot get to have unwanted behaviors both inside and outside the home.
The use of muzzle in dogs
So, sometimes it is likely that you should put a muzzle to your dog. Perhaps it is one of the races that are considered dangerous and you are required to take it down the street, you want to travel with him by public transport and you must put it on as dictated by law, or you do not want to be able to fight with other dogs during the walk or eat things from the ground when they should not, that is, that the muzzle It can also serve as a useful tool during education and training of your dog, both when he is a puppy and also when he grows older.
However, to dogs they don't usually like them Let them muzzle them. This device prevents open mouth to bark, eat or drink, in addition to being an external accessory that usually bothers them and that they do not like so much to wear. Other elements, such as the collar, winter clothing or the strap, are easier to get used to easily. We must keep in mind that these other supplements usually carry a positive charge, since we usually put them on before going out for a walk, one of the things they like best. So that, the use of the muzzle is usually not for such positive consequences, so it is very possible that your dog resist wearing it.
The owners are obliged to put the muzzle on public transport and dangerous breeds
How to place your dog's muzzle
The most dogs will show resistance when leaving the muzzle, so it is possible for them to flee, hide, oppose strength-based resistance or may show aggressive behavior as long as you cannot put this device on their nose. Therefore, it is important that from the first moment keep calm. If you get nervous the dog can feel your lack of serenity and he will also get even more nervous, so the fact of putting his muzzle will become even more complicated.
Search for a moment in which the pet be calm and take advantage of that moment to put the muzzle. The occasions during which you should put it on will not always be so precise, but if you take advantage of these moments to get used to it, you will get the day that you should put it at another time is much easier.
Let the animal sniff the muzzle if it is the first time that you are going to wear it or if you have already put it on more occasions. Perhaps you need to know what it is before you put it on and the most developed sense in these pets is smell, so by smelling it you will be able to recognize what it is and, little by little, get used to this element. Once you are tired of smelling it you can put a piece of your favorite food inside. If you let the take it easy you'll notice that the muzzle is harmless. Let it make taking your time. If you have already put the muzzle before you may not have a good memory of it and be a little reluctant to take the food inside.
Gradually, once you have the nose inside the muzzle, try to close the side straps behind the head. Be careful because I could hit you or bite you by instinct or fear, so you should make it very relaxed and calm. If it is left to place the muzzle, reward it properly, but if he has an unwanted behavior don't scold him too much. Try this technique little by little until you get it on. Once put let him get used To take him home. Try not to take it off with your legs forward or don't get too nervous and take it off too quietly To get used to it.
The dog should relate the experience of wearing the muzzle as something positive. Otherwise, it will be increasingly difficult to put it on, so it is best that do not hurry and that you go practicing with constant and patience the process of putting the muzzle, so someday you will get him to get used to it and can take it when necessary.
Steps to muzzle your dog
The introduction of the muzzle should be divided into small steps:
- Show the dog the muzzle, let it approach and smell it and deliver a piece of tasty food right away.
- Guide him to place the snout in the muzzle following a food lure, which can be placed at the bottom of the muzzle.
- Increase the time during which the dog has to keep the muzzle in the muzzle to receive a prize in food. For this phase It is important to be able to give prizes to the dog while the muzzle is on. In most muzzles this is possible through the front part of the muzzle. However, in some cases, you have to make a small arrangement to the muzzle (make a small hole in front) to continue giving the dog prizes and thus increase the duration of the exercise.
- While the dog has a muzzle in its muzzle, bring the tapes that are used to tie the collar to the back of the neck but without closing them, reward and remove the muzzle.
- Repeat the same as before but in this case close the tapes behind the dog's neck, reward and remove the muzzle. At first the tapes should be a little "loose": as the dog has become accustomed to wearing the muzzle, the tapes can be shortened until the muzzle is well placed.
- Increase from progressive way the time during which the dog He has the muzzle on.
- When the dog already tolerates the muzzle, you have to get used to moving by wearing it.
- Step next is to put the belt and make displacements Inside the house.
If all this is ready and the dog tolerates the muzzle well, it's time to repeat the exercises on the street. When changing places, it is always a good idea to repeat the steps of home training. This time it will be much faster and we ensure that the dog continues to have a good association with the muzzle. From this moment on, the idea is to continue maintaining the positive association between the muzzle and pleasant stimuli such as a tasty meal, a fun game or a pleasant walk.
A detail that could escape you.
A detail that could escape you: the number of steps and the time needed to complete this habituation process They may vary depending on the dog. The habituation made in this way allows the use of the muzzle as another tool in the daily management of the dog and avoids avoidance and rejection reactions at times when it is necessary to use it.
Common mistakes that can be made during this habituation protocol
- Bring the muzzle close to the dog's snout: what you are trying to achieve is the opposite, that is you try to get the dog to collaborate actively and bring the muzzle to the muzzle itself.
- Force the dog during the process: if the dog shows signs of avoidance, you have to go more slowly.
- Believe that the process has already been completed and you can go outside with the muzzle when the dog is allowed to place the muzzle for the first time.
- Remove the muzzle immediately if the dog tries to remove the muzzle with the paw: it is better to distract him by calling your attention to something differentFor example, ask him to do a known exercise, and when he is distracted, remove the muzzle and. Aim mentally how long the dog "endures" with the muzzle on. In the next trials, this information will have to be taken into account in order to progress correctly in the habituation process.
- Place the muzzle without adjusting it correctly: the muzzle is effective only if it is of the correct size and if it is properly adjusted, with which, if the size of the muzzle is correct, the length of the tapes must be measured well so that the muzzle is well placed. If it is not adjusted properly, with a slight pressure it will leave its position.
This protocol will teach the dog to be relaxed while wearing the muzzle and not trying to take it off all the time, but before using the muzzle it is useful to consult also our article on what NOT to do with a muzzle, 10 points that you do NOT have to do with a muzzle.