If your cat is sterilized its feeding will be different. In Bekia we show you which one will be appropriate.
We talk about a cat being sterilized when your sex glands have been removed getting, with this intervention, that can not reproduce and, in turn, not be jealous. It is a simple operation with general anesthesia in which, in the case of cats, the testicles are removed through a cut in the scrotal bag and, in the case of cats, they are opened by the abdomen to extract the ovaries and, in some cases, also the uterus.
Sterilization in a cat is usually done around 8 months of v>
How should we feed a sterilized cat?
As we have just said, one of the problems presented to us in our cat after being sterilized is the sum of extra kilos he suffers. The cause of this weight gain is that normally happens to be a more sedentary animal and, therefore, does not burn calories as it should.
In principle, if we see that you have caught too many kilos and that you do not lose them so easily, we must encourage him to play sports. To do this, we will use their toys to throw it and, thus, cause it to run for them and move a little. Even so, everything will be much more effective if we change the diet of our sterilized cat, since it will be important that we take care of it. That is why, here we leave you a series of tips on the food that your cat should take after having gone through sterilization.
1. Go to the veterinarian. Yes it is true that there are general tips that can be applied directly, but It is always better to be supervised by a specialist. Once we have sterilized our cat, it would be convenient for the veterinarian who tends to take care of our pet to give us some guidelines about the feeding that should follow. He will also tell us some tips to ensure that our cat is, at all times, at the right weight.
2. Take care of the amount of food. When our cat happens to be sterilized, by decreasing the secretion of sex hormones, your appetite is increased. Therefore, we must be careful with the amounts of food that we put in the feeder since it will eat everything we put in it. It is important to be careful, especially if you have more than one animal at home and usually eat together. In this case, it would be advisable to eat in separate shifts. If we continue to do it as before and we are not aware of how the food is going, we run the risk that the sterilized cat can continue with the meal of his companion.
3. Do not reward with food. When we are playing with our cat, a bad time or any other reason has passed, we can have the habit of rewarding him with food. We must try to change this behavior. As we have said in the previous section, our pet's appetite has increased and, therefore, will not miss any opportunity to get extra food. That is why, in case you do well or that we want to reward you, before giving you food, we give you a taste of affection. The animal can use these prizes to get to eat more, not because it really is something of merit.
4. Change your feed if necessary. When sterilizing our cat, we must forget about the food it has taken so far. There are special feed on the market for those expenses that have gone through this intervention and that feed in the same way. These include all the nutrients that our animal needs, but taking into account the difficulty that arises when it comes to getting you to lose those extra pounds you have taken. In case you find yourself a little lost on this issue, surely the veterinarian can help you or any owner of a pet store.
5. Increase water consumption. Another of the problems of sterilization and the decrease in the activity of our cat, is that the water intake decreases considerably. That is why, the fact of urinating less, can favor weight gain. To help you drink more water we must make it attractive. To do this, we will put drinking fountains in different places of our house and we will make sure that it is fresh and clean so that you want to drink. Another solution may be to make porridge with the feed. In this case, we will mix feed and water until the first softens and, after crushing it, we will make our porridge. If you have so much attraction for food, you should not care what status you are in.
Why sterilize the cat?
Sterilizing cats has weight advantages. A sterilized feline he loses his sexual behavior and his desire to go out in search of a partner. "Sterilizing cats is not only important to avoid unwanted litters of puppies. It also has important health benefits," concludes a study by Cornell University (USA).
Sterilized cats are animals more calm and affectionate, less territorial and not wanting to mark the house. In addition, they are healthier and have less danger of cancer. Sterilizing a female before her first heat decreases, among other problems, the risk of developing breast cancer later. The health of males also benefits from sterilization. "Sterilization reduces the danger of testicular cancer in cats and prostate problems," added veterinarians at Brown University (USA).
1. Do sterilized cats get fat?
Sterilized cats get fat. Those who live with them already suspected it, but now scientists confirm it: sterilized cats eat more and, yes, they usually gain weight. "The sterilized felines they eat more and reduce their energy expenditure, because their sexual behavior is diminished, the result is that they tend to get fat, "says veterinarian Marc Kanchuk, coordinator of a study on feeding in sterilized cats published in the scientific journal The Journal of Nutrition.
Therefore, if care is not taken, both females and males can gain weight significantly after sterilization surgery. How to feed the felines to ensure they are healthy and do not suffer from the problems of being overweight or, in the worst case, obesity?
3. Feed a sterilized cat: low fat food
Like people, each cat is different. Although the food rations recommended by cat food packages are indicative, they don't work for everyone. There are felines that spend less energy than others and, consequently, need fewer calories. The key is Choose a good meal for sterilized cats, as this food already contains lower concentration of calories and satiates more.
Initially, you have to follow the package guidelines, but it is recommended adjust the daily amount of food to the cat's real needs to make sure you eat what you need, and not more. For this, it is best to use a measuring cup, which can be ordered at the veterinarian or purchased at a specialized cat shop, although the most accurate is to use a kitchen scale.
4. More small portions for the sterilized cat
The trick so that the sterilized feline does not get fat is to distribute its daily food in smaller portions, distributed throughout the day. "The recipe for taking care of the cat is to calculate the amount of food it needs to stay healthy, but to offer it distributed in small portions throughout the day, rather than once," explains veterinarian Kelly Swanson of the University of Illinois (USA), which has conducted an extensive study on feline feeding.
5. Games to feed the sterilized cat
Choose a good meal, distribute it in portions and. Let the sterilized cat play with her! Overflowing feeders are boring and very little stimulating for these animals. Why not use cat food dispensers, cat food puzzles and games like hiding balls around the house? These tricks will provide the pussycat with an additional interest in food, will keep him active and mind awake. While taking care of your line!