Spend at least 15-30 minutes calling the cat by name, surrounding the site where it was last seen. Make familiar sounds, such as hitting the edge of a can with a fork or shaking a box of dry food.
Leave a door ajar when you return home.
Inform the neighbors immediately about your cat's absence and ask them for permission to look in their garages since cats sometimes hide there. If your windows overlook your house, they may be able to take a look for you.
Comb the neighborhood (recruiting neighbors and children if possible) informing door to door of your cat's characteristics, your telephone number and offering a small reward for any information.
Walk or pedal up and down the last street where your cat was seen and ride your car through your neighborhood. Ask the people you meet and expand your search to surrounding fields and forests.
Cats that are not accustomed to living outside can panic and hide in the bushes. Injured or sick cats also tend to hide.
Use the "lost and found" sections of local newspapers to announce your loss, and check them daily in case someone reports that they found it.
Prepare pasquines with the relevant information about your cat, including its name and a description of its appearance. Contact information must include name, telephone and e-mail. If possible, include a photograph of your pet and photocopy it. Print and distribute the boxes where your cat was last seen and also around your neighborhood. Also distribute it on all the information boards you have at your fingertips.
Call nearby veterinarians notifying them of your loss and provide them with the information in the previous point.
Many lost pets are taken to nearby shelters or kennels. Local animal assistance organizations are also a place to visit. Be sure to provide details such as color, age, size, temperament and other identifying information (microchip, necklace, etc.)
WHY ARE CATS LOST?
Although your pet is very routine and territorial by nature, you need to go out and explore the surroundings, if you have no habit of letting it out of home, you should know that he with his characteristic agility is able to climb and escape if he wishes.
Does he do it because he doesn't feel comfortable with you? At all, when you have won your cat, you learn to recognize its “noises” as if it were a baby, you will know when it cries of hunger or why Do you want to go out, if you need to be caressed or if you want to play. If you have reached this level of communication, your kitten loves you, but he still needs his walks, his exits: His space.
Over time you realize that your cat has its time to leave and not be seen, often you "grab" the schedule, these habits of your kitten will help you know if he is lost or just for a walk.
It is not normal for a cat not to return to homeIf this happens it is usually a sign that something has happened.
It could be that distracted lost orientation and does not know how to return, but it could also be a sign that someone is holding him or is injured.
Many cats, unlike dogs that usually bark when they are lost trying to find their owner, tend to hide in silence if they are scared and because of this they cannot go home by themselves.
Lost cat behavior:
The search for a lost kitten will depend a lot on the personality of the same. Because fear will react differently, if you know your pet well you will know if it belongs to any of the categories that, in terms of psychology, classify the temperament of domestic cats:
He is the one who does not like to be taken in arms, usually cautious in his approaches to humans or other cats, either because he was mistreated as a small or rather unattended, perhaps it is simply his personality
Usually hide when you get scared of unexpected or strange events. It avoids physical contact and needs them to respect their space even more than common cats. They usually choose a space inside the house that is, for them, a kind of “refuge”, where they take shelter when something in the environment bothers them
If an event bothered your shy kitten, it may not have been lost and simply sheltered in a new shelter inside your home, if this is the case for your pet, you should search thoroughly while you call him gently, to encourage him to leave his hiding place
No anxiety and anguish, because you could scare him even more and less want to get out of hiding
This little friend likes contact with humans, is usually cautious in principle, but quickly comes into trust, likes games, children, are usually quite active and playful He feels comfortable inside the house and visitors arouse his curiosity. It is the ideal cat.
He loves to be raised in his arms and if you don't, he will take the initiative to get on your arms. If you lose this adorable cat, it won't help to call him softly and patiently inside the house, maybe he went with someone who was more fun than you and momentarily captivated him.
It is a kind of middle term between the shy and friendly cat, although he is not fearful, he is reserved and a little distant, he takes time to get close to humans
He determines when he wants to be caressed and when it is time to be with himself. Choose the visitors that interest you and those that don't, ignore them. They are ideal for older or very busy people, because they do not suffer from your absence, it is rather like they enjoy their time alone
It is difficult for this cat to escape or get lost, unless he is in heat, in which case he will return when he sees fit, once his needs result or when he misses his home
This cat is a bit capricious, selects who likes and who doesn't, and is able to clearly demonstrate these feelings. It is the kitten that can attack your visits if they don't like it or if you pay more attention to it than he wants
You want to make it very clear who is welcome and who is not at "your" home. It is rare for this cat to escape, because of its territorial nature, is able to reach the physical level to protect its territory. It is a good idea to take it somewhere away from home when your friends come to visit you, as it gets to get a little aggressive and it can make you and your friends have a hard time if they don't like it
Analyzing the psychological profile of your cat can be useful to start your search if you have lost it.
Why isn't the cat at home?
It is very rare that a kitten leaves his home, because as we have mentioned before, they are very territorial, if it depends on them they will not only leave but also will not consent to the presence of another strange cat in its ground They will defend fiercely. But if one day you cannot find him and, knowing his habits, you have not seen him for a long time, consider the reasons that could explain his absence:
- Maybe he went out for a moment and picked up some activist, thinking he was lost> There is the possibility> There are groups that perform rituals with cats, investigate if there are any in your area, sometimes they kidnap kittens for these dark purposes
- He was able to go out to explore a little, trip over a dog or other cat of a larger size and in his hu> If you have neighbors with pets of these characteristics, this could explain the absence of your pet
- Maybe he went up to a tree and fears going down, these things happen in the v> Did you leave enough com> Are you in "those days of zeal"? If so, you may be looking to mate and will soon return
- Maybe something scared your expense and is very well hidden in a new hiding place inside your house, definitely looking for cats is not an easy task
If after answering all these questions and looking carefully inside your house and your yard, in all the small corners and possible shelters you cannot find your cat, it is time to move on to the action plan that allows you to recover your cat friend.
How to attract a cat
- Search In your garden, patio and the surroundings of your house, call it while you do it, try not to hear the anguish in your voice, because you could scare it. Call it calmly, in a rather playful tone and try wear with you its com> There are those who suggest bringing sardines or some other fish, if your cat likes it, because its strong smell will attract it
- Question to the other members of your family and your neighbors if they have seen your cat. Maybe he just took a short walk and some of them could have seen it
- More than extensive the search your pussy must be thorough, for its flexibility> He observes the surroundings very well and continues to call him, so that he is encouraged to leave if he hides
- Night search, the kittens tend to be more active at night, take advantage of this habit to try to find it, take a flashlight with you and try to be accompanied to protect your safety> If this search goes on, start considering the possibility of doing some frills with a recent photograph of your cat, its description as objective as possible and the information so they can contact you if someone finds it
- Walk the streets near your home, p> Visit the foster homes> Disseminate the information through the social networks, this will allow you to reach more people. Write to foundations and organizations of animal friends to help you find
- Some stations of local radio, they could also help you find your cat, go to them and ask them to help you, especially if they have any program related to cu> Post an ad in your local newspaper, to expand your search radius and make it possible> Offer reward, a possibility> Take your flyers Lost Cat> Visit veterinary clinics where someone could have taken your lost cat> Find out if in your local>Let com> In some countries such as Mexico, Canada and the United States there are professionals who track lost pets. These detectives they use personality analysis of the lost animal, dog and cat behavior patterns or they can use tracking dogs to locate your pet
WHAT TO DO TO AVOID LOSING YOUR CAT BACK
After the relief and joy of seeing your kitty return home it is time to drinkmeasurements to prevent him from escaping again or getting lost, especially since he runs the risk of being hurt by another animal, such as a street cat, a dog or someone who is malicious.
- At least for the first few days, try to have it stuck at home, so that it adapts again to the routine of your home, especially if you were lost> Your little friend is a sensitive and routine little animal, help him resume his rhythm of v> Check your Feeding Habits, maybe he escaped because he needs more com> To re-establish the relationship home = com> Something I personally wouldn't do is castrate or spay to any of my pets, however if your cat tends to escape when he is in heat, castration is a procedure used to prevent your cat from wanting to escape to mate. It is a quite personal decision and will depend on the priorities of the cat owner
And of the willingness to be used physical means to prevent the kitten from leaving home. How to keep the windows and doors tightly closed, place plastic mesh or wire mesh to avoid closing the windows and the little animal can escape.
Another advantage of cat castration is that it avoids the habit of marking the territory with urine and this makes it more pleasant to live with him at home.
The risks of suffering from overweight and other diseases increase. So the pro-cons relationship of the procedure should really be evaluated.
In the case of cats, sterilizing it will prevent one of your escapes from becoming pregnant and uncontrolled playback. It also avoids marking with house urine and prevents breast and uterine cancer
- Put your cat on a microchip necklace to make it easier to find him if he escaped from home again. These collars are now increasingly light and available for small breeds of dogs and cats
Some have a tracking device with technology GPS which will allow you to track and locate your cat if it is within a radius of up to 11 km. They are expensive but they will save you anguish if you have an adventurous kitten:
- But if you fear that your cat may lose its collar, there is also the possibility> Don't forget> Hire a pet detective It is an expensive and desperate resource, but when we have lost our kitten and think about all the risks and dangers that it runs on the street, it surely will not seem so much to us. Keep this number among your contacts
We hope our tips help you find your cat, or better yet, to avoid losing it. The loss or loss of our pet is a painful experience that we hope you should not go through.
The essential thing is to maintain good spirits and act calmlyEven if you feel anxiety and anguish you must maintain control in order to be able to search more effectively for your lost kitten.
You may be comforted to know that there are lost cats that return home after months or even years, there are those who travel long distances to reunite with their family.
In Japan after an earthquake and tsunami, a family lost their cat Suika and managed to recover it thanks to their identification plate on the necklace and the information it contained to contact them and they had already passed three years.
A woman from Germany recovered her cat Poldi after 15 years and identification was possible because she had a tattoo on one of her ears. His story went around the world.
Surely you can find your cat very soon, but if so do not lose hope, despite their fragile appearance, cats by their independent character and instinct, are able to stay safe, procure food, defend themselves and can return home, it will help you a lot to keep looking for it.
We wish you good luck if you have lost your pet and if you wish you can share, in the comments your story or your advice to know “How to find a Lost Cat ”.
What is it that drives my cat crazy?
This is the first thing we have to ask ourselves before worry invades us.. Some, for example, cannot resist cat cans (wet food). It is listening to the sound of the can opening and running towards it, even if they have been enjoying a pleasant and comfortable nap. To get their attention, we simply have to tap with the can.
Other hairy people prefer sound toys, like a ball. If our cat belongs to them, we will take their favorite toy and make it sound.
What are the magic words?
For the can or the toy to be really useful, we have to call our cat with the magic words. Everyone will have their own. Mine for example are, call the hairy with a very cheerful tone of voice and pronounce the word "can." If it doesn't work, I always say "look, look", using the same tone that parents use when they want to teach something very interesting to their young children.
It is importantuse the same words every time, since this way the animal will soon associate them with that prize that he likes so much.
What if it doesn't come out of hiding?
Sometimes, however, as much as we call it there is no way out. In this situations, we will have no choice but to look for it in every corner. You have to take a look even at those places where you supposedly do not have to be, such as inside the closet for example, or in the laundry room.
Accidents can occur, so if we have found it once we see that it limps or is wrong, we should take it to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Even so, prevention is always the best cure: we have to keep all cleaning products, sharp and / or small objects, and those things that can easily fall away from our cat.
Find it near your home and around
If your cat leaves and enters freely from home or you think he has been able to escape to see another cat of the opposite genus, it is likely that may come back sometime . For that reason, before you start looking for him, it will be highly recommended that someone wait at home with an open window.
Start the search for your cat by tracking the areas closest to your home. Especially if you remember seeing him for the last time, start looking for him there. Then it begins to explore the area progressively covering a higher area each time. You can use a bike to move easily.
Don't forget to bring tasty treats for cats with you, Scream their name and look in holes and others places you could hide. If your cat is not used to going outside, he will probably be very scared and will look for shelter anywhere. Check all corners well.
Use social networks to spread
To take advantage of the reach of social networks It is a great way to reach many more people. It is undoubtedly one of the best tricks to find a lost cat. For that reason we recommend you prepare a publication in which you include your photograph, name, description, contact telephone number, extra data. Everything you think can help you find your cat.
Disseminate the publication in Facebook twitter and other social networks that you have active and don't forget ask to spread your post To reach more people.
In addition to your own profiles, do not hesitate to share the publication with animal associations, lost dog groups or animal outreach pages. Everything you do can help you find him.
Contact protectors of your local>
You should get in touch by phone with an animal shelter or kennel in your city and provide Your cat's data and chip number to check if a cat has arrived with a shelter-like description.
Do not forget that in addition to calling you must visit them. Many of these places are at maximum capacity and have difficulty updating the entrances and exits. The best thing is that, after two or more days of your loss, you go to all these places physically.
Hang up posters around the area
This is an effective way to reach more people, especially to those who do not use social networks or who are not from your circle of friends. Do not forget that you must add the following information:
- Your cat's picture
- Your name
- A short description
- Your name
- Contact information
Go to your local veterinary clinics>
Especially if your cat has suffered an accident and a good person has taken care of it could end up in a veterinary clinic. Check if your best friend has arrived there and don't forget to leave them a poster just in case.
Especially if it has a chip, we recommend you check with them to find it.
You still can't find your lost cat>
Do not lose your nerves. Your cat could come back at any time or your diffusion strategies could work. Be patient and follow all the steps again mentioned above to find you: look in nearby places, broadcast, go to protective and clinics. Don't be afraid of getting heavy, the most important thing is to find your cat!
Good luck, we hope you find it soon!
If you want to read more articles similar to Tricks to find a lost cat, we recommend that you enter our Curiosities section of the animal world.