If your dog is constipated, first of all, calm down! It is a more frequent problem than you think. In addition it usually has its origin in:
- Insufficient feeding
- Lack of exercise
In this article we will also tell you the tips you need to regulate the intestinal transit of your little friend, read on!
My dog is constipated. Basic things of canine constipation
How many times should my pet have a bowel movement? The most common is that your pet defecates between 1-2 times a day. But ... And what happens if it isn't? What happens if not only does it not defecate, but when it does the poops are small and hard? Then, Your dog is simply constipated.
The problem is when your furry friend meets other symptoms! For example:
In any of those cases, you should take him to the vet! It may be the symptom of another disease.
Olive oil to improve intestinal transit
This is definitely a natural option that you can give your pet easily. In addition, dogs often love their taste.
How do I give my dog olive oil to improve its intestinal transit? Easy! Add 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to your meal, and give it for 2-3 days.
If your little friend shows no symptoms of another medical condition, You can add the oil to your food a couple of days a week!
Give your pet an extra fiber!
If your pet's diet does not have an adequate amount of fiber, it could develop constipation! The high-end feeds that are sold today, are designed so that Your pet has a balanced diet, depending on their age, size and level of physical activity.
Do you give your pet homemade food? So, make sure you cover all their needs! Never forget that If your pet has a balanced diet, it will not have traffic problems!
Does your pet exercise?
Dogs are active animals by nature, if you want your furry friend to be in perfect health, should make exercise!
Let your pet do sports, It is directly related to the functioning of your digestive system. try to dedicate a little of your time and take him for a walk, exercise etc.
Hydration, the key!
One of the possible causes of your pet's constipation is that, he is not ingesting enough fluids! Try to always have clean and fresh water at your disposal.
If your pet ingests the amount of water he needs, his digestion will be much easier!
What happens to wet food?
Dogs, like humans, take out much of the water they need from food! And, although many foods have their water base, dry feed, no! How can this be compensated? Easy! It is best that you incorporate wet food into your pet's usual diet. You can choose to do it yourself, or to buy it, totally suitable for lazy people!
Other causes of constipation in dogs
(Photo via: expert animal)
Although constipation can be caused by many different factors, there are some especially common causes!
- Age: as dogs get older, they have more trouble defecating!
- If you have a male, the prostate. There are some dogs that eventually develop prostate problems, also causing constipation problems.
- Tumors in the rectum.
- Perianal glands with problems
If you can't improve your pet's intestinal transit, ask the veterinarian for help! He can help your four-legged friend.
The importance of hydration
It will also be essential to strengthen the hydration of our pets to prevent constipation and other damage to your body. In addition to leaving fresh and clean water at your disposal throughout the day, we can also prepare wet food and exquisite refreshing recipes, such as homemade dog poles.
With these basic guidelines, it is possible to treat and prevent constipation in our dog naturally. However, always remember the importance of veterinary care to establish a treatment appropriate to your needs.
For all this, in the face of any anomaly in the depositions or changes of behavior that you observe in your dog, we recommend you to go quickly to the veterinary clinic.
How to treat a constipated dog naturally?
Although most people who have dogs have had more experience with diarrhea problems in their dog, Constipation in dogs, also called constipation, is also a very widespread problem and one must also have a special look.
Constipation in dogs is a very widespread problem, so being aware of dog defecation is important.
The observation of the frequency of defecation of the dog often leads to detect one of the main reasons for consultation in gastrointestinal disorders to the veterinarian.
Constipation in dogs (also very common in cats) can be a sign of many problems or pathologies, some of them very serious and / or painful, others may have no solution and become chronic or sometimes a surgical solution should be applied.
Other symptoms that can be observed in constipation in dogs
- Expulsion of very hard and dry stools: this is because being so long in the intestine they run out of fluid> Effort to defecate Painful defecation sometimes with some mucus> Swelling and pain in the anal area Difficulty in walking Abdominal distension Lack of appetite Stress and depression No willingness to do activ> Bone ingestion Ingestion of foreign bodies such as hair, fabrics, plastics Low cant> Side effects of medications A change in diet Insufficient water consumption Change of environment, a change of address or place of residence> Lack of exercise Obstruction of the intestines Low levels of certain components such as calcium, potassium or the hormone shot> Lack of hygiene, in long-haired dogs
Remedies for constipation in dogs
Having observed the possible symptoms or the strange behavior of the dog, visiting a veterinarian becomes essential in order to diagnose exactly the problem. Not making any decision until the visit to the veterinarian would be a good alternative because of the problems that could cause wrong decisions.
Dehydration or obstipation is sufficient for hospitalization and treatments aimed at hydrating the dog.
What can be given to a constipated dog?
A change to a diet richer in fiber and with greater control of the use of water in amounts more appropriate to the dog It is usually a guideline to follow in the treatment of constipation in dogs.
A limitation of food for dogs without flours, refined sugars and dairy products It will also be a good guideline.
A high-fiber diet, more special dog food, good hydration and control of dog bowel movements These are the things to consider in order to prevent or distinguish a constipation problem in dogs.
Constipation in dogs
Constipation is defined as that situation in which stool evacuation is not possible or it decreases the frequency of it, being able to observe that our pet defecates small, hard and dark stools, which also does it with difficulty and, sometimes, with pain.
Constipation in dogs can indicate an unbalanced diet or lack of physical exercise, but it can also be the manifestation of serious pathological disorders, such as tumors that obstruct the digestive tract.
We can distinguish three main causes of canine constipation:
- Interluminal causes: constipation is caused by a partial or complete obstruction of the digestive tract.
- Extraluminal causes: constipation is caused by abnormalities that are outside the colon, but also contribute to the obstruction of the digestive tract.
- Intrinsic causes: it is not possible to evacuate the feces due to neuromuscular pathologies or other disorders such as hypercalcemia or hypothyroidism.
Any dog can be affected, however, constipation It is most often present in elderly dogs, due to the physiological changes that your body undergoes and the normal reduction of daily physical activity.
Symptoms of constipation in dogs
If our pet suffers from constipation it can manifest it through the following signs:
- Lack of stool evacuation
- Smaller, dark and hard stools
- Stool with the presence of mucus or blood
- The dog remains in the evacuation posture but is unable to defecate
- Signs of pain during defecation
- Abdomen with swelling
- Loss of appetite
As we will see below, some of these symptoms must be interpreted as warning signs and require immediate veterinary care.
We must go urgently to the veterinarian If we observe in our pet some of the following situations:
- Constipation does not resolve in 1 or 2 days.
- Constipation ceases in 1 or 2 days but is repeated constantly.
- The dog has loss of appetite, vomiting or lethargy.
Any of the situations mentioned above we may be indicated a serious health problemTherefore, veterinary medical care will be essential.
How to stimulate a dog to defecate
There are several dietary hygienic measures which are very useful for treating constipation in dogs, below we show you what they are:
- Ground green leafy vegetables: add to the usual diet 1 teaspoon per 4 kilos of body weight, 1 or 2 times a day, this quickly increases fiber intake.
- Canned pumpkin: Pumpkin is a natural remedy that contains large proportions of water and fiber, we must add 1 teaspoon to each diet for every 4 kilos of body weight, 1 or 2 times a day.
- Coconut fiber: administer 1 teaspoon for every 4 kilos of body weight, 1 or 2 times a day.
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: promotes digestion and adequate intestinal transit, administer half a teaspoon every 4 kilos of body weight, once a day.
- Pure Aloe Vera Juice: The juice of this cactus is also highly beneficial for our pets and it will be enough to administer half a teaspoon every 4 kilos of body weight, once a day.
- Olive oil: enriching our dog's food with olive oil is a simple way to relieve constipation, in addition, it will make the food more appetizing.
- More water: It is essential that the dog ingests more water if it is constipated, we can try to place a second drinking fountain in another place in the house.
- Daily physical exercise: Dogs should perform daily physical exercise and this should adapt to their individual characteristics and physical limitations.
This information is merely indicative, remember that the veterinarian is the only person trained to recommend a certain treatment.
Treatment for dogs with constipation
It is important that under no circumstances give our dog laxatives, since laxatives approved for human consumption may not be suitable for the body of dogs, in addition, many of these substances increase motility because they act by contact, irritating the intestinal walls, which could be disastrous for our pet.
Nor should we apply any enema or lavative, as we could hurt the rectum of the animal and cause significant imbalances in its bacterial flora.
Only the veterinarian can decide If our dog must undergo a pharmacological treatment and, in this case, you can opt for prokinetic drugs, which act by improving all the processes of the digestive tract and that are less aggressive than laxatives.
The veterinarian will also determine the need to prescribe probiotics if he considers that constipation is due to abnormalities in the intestinal flora.
Prevent constipation in dogs
As the saying warns, prevention is better than cure and it is important that you can offer your dog enough resources to avoid alterations in its intestinal transit.
For prevent constipation in dogs It is important that you keep in mind the following tips:
- It is important that your diet is based on dry feed (contains more fiber) but that this intake is balanced with wet feed, since it contains higher amounts of>
Are you worried about your pet's health?
If you have received a dog in your home and want to provide the best care, we recommend that you consult the following articles to keep your health in perfect condition and prevent conditions such as constipation from developing:
This article is purely informative, at ExpertAnimal.com we have no power to prescribe veterinary treatments or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to take your pet to the veterinarian in case he presents any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Constipation in dogs - Causes, symptoms and treatmentWe recommend that you enter our section on Intestinal Problems.
Olive oil for constipation in dogs
You will read in some forums that olive oil can relieve you. The problem is that this diarrhea may be a symptom of a worse disease, so resorting to this treatment without being supervised by a specialist could be wasting precious time, one that you should use to take it to the veterinarian.
That is why it is best that you go to a specialist. You can also make an online consultation without obligation to check the severity of your case, also to locate the veterinarian suitable for you in your city.
Why does my dog try to defecate and can't?
Before understanding how to relieve your pain after confirming with the doctor that it is only a constipation, you have to know how you have reached this state. Small breed dogs are more likely than medium and large breed dogs to suffer from it, so we must be especially cautious with what you eat and what you drink.
Your dog has to feed himself with a combination of quality feed, wet can recipes and also with homemade dishes made by you. A diet with many nutrients, vitamins and liquid will help your digestive system work like a clock, avoiding day to day constipation. The most common cause of constipation in small and large breed dogs is to eat bad feed and low humidity dishes.
In addition to this, you must always ensure that the water in your drinking fountain is fresh, also that it does not quench your thirst with dirty puddle water, as they may contain bacteria that cause constipation, vomiting and even diarrhea. Change it regularly and contact our online veterinarians in case you decide to stop drinking. Anyway, we give you a tip if this is the problem: add water to your food, a little, so that you receive the extra hydration you need.
Another typical reason for constipation in dogs is because of poor exercise. The walks, games and races at your side help your intestines move, which facilitates intestinal transit and that these obstructions do not occur. This problem also appears because of emotional issues. If you are stressed or anxious, you may also end up constipated.
How to relieve constipation in dogs
What you never have to do is apply home remedies or self-medicate. Do not give any medication to your small breed dog without a prescription, or improvise any evacuating enema. All you have to do is confirm with a veterinarian that you have constipation and then take care of him as he deserves.
To alleviate it you have to choose nutrient-rich food and change dry feed for natural food. Your dog will eat a good grade turkey or chicken well made with some caldito. Take him more for a walk and play with him. A good walk after resting from each meal will help you move it and expel it. These are the only two home remedies that you can apply with total confidence, although we recommend that if you resort to natural food instead of processed food, do so with the supervision of our dietitians.
Have you been left with doubts? Ask our veterinarians: